With the onset of November, the cold winter winds have made the environment pleasant and cozy. It’s a much needed relief from the moist and summery monsoons. But the winds have brought with them a host of winter illnesses that our babies are most susceptible to. Protecting a child from virals and cold during winters can be quite a daunting task. But here are a few simple things we can do to combat cold and illnesses that accompany:
1) Limit exposure to germs – Keeping indoor at all times is definitely not that way out, but it is always a good idea to listen to your parental instincts. If you suspect a place to be too cold for your baby’s comfort or if you’d like to limit visitors when your baby is unwell, you must prioritize your baby’s needs.
2) Follow basic hygiene – Wash your hands as often as you can. And insist your toddler/preschooler to wash his hands frequently too. This is the most simple and effective way of keeping germs at bay. If your baby is an infant, you must ask the visitors to wash their hands before they handle the baby. It won’t hurt to sanitize after a wash. Also you must trim your baby’s nails at regular intervals to avoid any dirt or germs accumulating there. U-Grow, a renowned and trusted Baby care brand offers a nail clipper for babies. It is designed keeping in view the delicate skin of a Baby.
3) Treat Cold and cough naturally – Your baby is likely to catch cold often this season. I prefer to rely on home remedies to prevent and cure cold, instead of exposing a child to dose of medicines over and over again. Keeping the baby warm and fully covered during winters is a must. However, you must visit a pediatrician if the cold persists.
4) Be well-equipped – You must have equipments like a baby thermometer, nasal aspirator, nebulizer at home to treat and prevent common cold. A nasal aspirator helps a baby breathe better by drawing the fluids out of nostrils. Nebulizers deliver liquid or aerosol medications that help you breathe to your lungs via a mask or mouthpiece. A major benefit of using a humidifier for your baby during the winter is that it provides protection against dry air. U-Grow offer a perfect solution for mums in search of apt health equipments for their babies. You must check out U-Grow contactless infrared thermometer, U-Grow Piston type nebulizer, and the safe and convenient to use nasal aspirator.
5) Urge your Baby to drink up – Kids are less likely to drink water or other fluids by themselves during the winters. But they tend to lose fluids from the body when they are sick. Make sure you breastfeed or formula feed an infant often. When a Baby has started with solid offers fruits and veggies with high water content.
6) Check the sick-kid Policy at school – Make sure the school/daycare your child goes to follows a policy of keeping sick kids away from the others. If you notice your child catching an infection, allow him to take rest at home.
7) Get your baby vaccinated – Making sure that your baby’s vaccinations are up to date, will help your protect her from various viruses and bacteria. Make sure she gets a yearly flu shot once he’s 6 months old. It is practically inevitable that your hold will get a few colds during winters.
By Jasmeet Kaur Deep,
An educationist, parenting blogger and a mother who blogs about experiences and ideas that converge mom life.